Segmentation Fault on Router [OT?]

sorry if this is OT, but this problem has occured on my debian router.

simple home network setup.  adsl in, p166-debian router running simple
iptables with port forwarding for services.  connects a couple dozen client
machines to internet as a gateway.  this machine has been routing net for
170 days now without many issues.

the problem arised when i was looking into bandwidth monitoring.  i use
IPTraf for generic monitoring of the external eth device, but i also wanted
to see if i could get logging for separate internal ip's.  i'd seen someone
one this list talk about ipaudit, but only quoted a sourceforge link. so -

p166deb:~# apt-cache search ipaudit
Segmentation fault

segfault?  i try a few other things, thinking i maybe have the wrong command
somehow -

p166deb:~# man apt-cache
Reformatting apt-cache(8), please wait...
/usr/bin/nroff: line 100:   986 Segmentation fault
PATH=$GROFF_BIN_PATH:$PATH groff $safer -Wall -mtty-char $T $opts ${1+"$@"}
 Manual page apt-cache(8) line ?/? (END)

segfault again!

i start looking at logs for any clue. (really not sure _what_ to look
for...)  possible intrusion?
so, less still works, top still works, IPTraf still works...  but apt and
man seem completely hosed.

logs give me nothing - either there is nothing there for me to see, or i did
not find what i needed to see.

thoughts?  [intruder? hardware?  ??]

-doug