Re: firewall for a client

--- JM <jmm19@humboldt.edu> wrote:

> > Worms would be more of a threat, how ever the only service were even
> > thinking about running is mldonky.  The only way for a worm to infect
> this
> > PC would be a tcp/ip exploit, runing a firewall  has a %50 chance of
> > exposing a tcp/ip exloit.  The other %50 goes to not running a
> firewall.
> >
> > As far as trojans rootkits, it's vary common to be running a firewall
> so
> > you would think than any trojans rootkits would disable the firewall.
> > There are better ways of dealing with this problem, especialy in
> debian.
>
> You mean...all those antivirus and firewall products for wintel systems
> are just a marketing thing..?

For *linux/unix kernles* the coders are just as likely to make a mistake
in or out of ther fierwall code.

For other systems this is not the case.  If some coders wrote a TCP/IP
stack and a diffrent set of coders wrote a fierwall it's up to you to
decide which group of coders is most likely to care about security over
anything else, I.E. making a deadline.