Re: VoIP stopping TCP traffic?

--- Jean-Michel Hiver <hiver.j@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> >So it is imilar to your problem: when one of the links is hogged, even
> >the other ones, do not work.
> >

> It would be but I use ILBC codec for VoIP which is around 12kbps. Even
> with IP, UDP, and asterisk IAX overhead it does not exceed 32kbps. So my
>
> link is only at 50% capacity and all TCP traffic from the LAN to the
> gateway (and vice versa) _still_ die.
>
> Also I do not have any 'ping' issues. Pinging the gateway from my laptop
>
> through wifi @ about 2ms.

Is you VoIP using wifi?
I was working for a wierless ISP and there phone system was entierly IP
based(The phones had ethernet and used DHCP, running some form of windows
NT).  The inharent problems with radio(static) caused a fue bits to be
garbeled every 50 bytes or so.  Thie meant to get any type of time
critical protocol(including quake) to work ment using 15byte packets.  For
other traffic the default pkt size was OK since the radios where good at
retransmiting the data which only added delay at a cost of less overhead
then the smaller pkt size.