Question about wondershaper

Hi List,

I'm toying around with wondershaper but can't get it to work very well.

I am on a fairly crappy ISDN connection (64 kbps up, 64kbps down) - top download @ about 7.7 ko/sec. I run it on a debian box with a 2.6 kernel which acts as gateway / nat server.

Whenever there is a download on my home network, pings to say, google.com skyrocket to 6000+ms as opposed to 300-400ms (I live in Reunion and I am on a fairly crappy ISDN connection=> high ping anyways).

I have tried various parameters (wondershaper 64 64, wondershaper 60 60, wondershaper 56 56, etc) and it doesn't seem to do much at all.

Only when I put ridiculous values (such as wondershaper 8 8) I get a "decent" ping, but then of course the download goes right down to 2 ko/sec.

Any ideas?

NB: I was wondering if there was a tool which has less-barbaric-a-syntax than tc to do QOS. What I'm really after would be something that would prioritize traffic with:

1. Asterisk IAX (must be always in front of everything else)
2. SSH
3. Other
4. FTP / P2P etc