Re: Iptables not blocking DHCP/UDP correctly?

--- Bart-Jan Vrielink <bartjan@vrielink.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 00:27 +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> understanding of
> later).

> > DHCP is not UDP, it is protocol "bootp"
>
> Huh?
> bartjan@trillian:~$ getent protocols|grep -i bootp
> bartjan@trillian:~$ getent services |grep -i bootp
> bootps                67/tcp
> bootps                67/udp
> bootpc                68/tcp
> bootpc                68/udp
>
> And as far as I can tell, it almost always uses udp, not tcp.
>
> > > dhcpd operates directly on the interface, right in front of the
> > > netfilter firewall.
> >
> > Nope.
>
> So it needs CONFIG_PACKET for no apparent reason?
> I lost count on the number of times I had to recompile a kernel because
> I forgot to include this one (and/or CONFIG_FILTER) and dhcp didn't
> work.

DHCP protocol is complex in that it uses MAC and IP tricks to work
correctly.  I'm sure you could use UDP sockets, but I think the code for
this would be vary messy.  Instead the authors of DHCP have decided to
handel the UDP protocol them selfs, I for one respect there discision.