wondershaper issue on Woody-30 stock kernel

I have a Woody30 stock install on a PIII 450 machine acting as firewall/router. However when I used Debian tweaked wondershaper, it stops all traffic. Kernel version 2.4.18

Per man page the command I used:

wondershaper dev uplink downlink
/sbin/wondershaper ppp0 106 106

Goggling around led me to a couple of post declaring that stock kernel problem.

I now need to upgrade the kernel perhaps to 2.4.27-1-686. The machine is 2 hours drive away from where I am. I have to do remote upgrade with this machine and also need to be doubly-sure that everything works before I commence.

Doing apt-cache search|grep 2.4.27-1 shows the require kernel-image, kernel header and kernel-pcmcia-module.
However when I issue the command
# apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.27-1-i386

It said it depends on 2 modules, modutils and initrd-tools both are new version than the one at the moment.
My question is:

1. Does the kernel-image package already has all the necessary modules. As iptables needs its related modules to run. 2. Do I apt-get the needed modules, initrd-tools and modutils then apt-get kernel-image? 3. When these steps are done, do I need to change content in /etc/lilo.conf to use the new kernel image. 4. Any report on whether kernel-2.4.27-1 has any issue when using wondershaper?

Regards
David Kwok