Re: give multible ports a/o ips to iptables [fixed: problems with firehol...]

On 12/09/2004 Mike Mestnik wrote:
> > sorry, but why do i need to firewall a client. i'm talking about my ftp
> > server, and this one has installed a firewall. i don't get the point.
>
> I'm not sure, but I'm farily certin ONLY client's will be properly
> handeled with the current code.  It dosen't really matter that you want
> server IF I'm right and only clients are supported.

you mean, that currently only connections from ftp clients are allowed
on my individual ftp ports? but why should an ftpserver connect to
another ftpserver? if it would, it would use an ftp client, correct?

or do you mean, if my local ftp clients connect on those ports to remote
ftp servers, the data is dropped?

i don't get your point.

> I guess the question is, are the port being open correctly for pasv and
> port based connections on your servers?

the machine where i try to configure the firewall is my server. so the
question is whether the configuration i use, and pasted often here,
opens the ports for ftp connections (active and passive), or whether
it doesn't.

bye
 jonas