Re: down to the core

It's a sad day indeed when ppl equate patching with security.  I wonder if
there is any relation to other ideas, like sending HTML Mail or using
microsoft software on production systems?

Just to make things clear kernel patches SHOULD be considered a security
risk.  Learn to work within what is stable and true(2.4 or better 2.2) or
sacrifice your security for freedom you will.

1. Debian's initrd uses the cramfs patch, not found in the pristine
source, using these kernels may result in an undesired affect or boot
hack.  It's true that it's relatively easy to get a prestine kernel
booting.
2. Using patches against the debian kernel tree is an even worse idea, you
never know what kind of doors you will open.  It's true there are patches
out there for the debian source trees, but these are the exception not the
rule.