down to the core

Greetings,

I'm looking to build a system that will be a dedicated firewall machine.
I would like this installation to be secure from the ground up and was
hoping that someone could recommend a customized kernel package
built specifically for firewalling.  The reason I'm asking is because just
recently I tried using the ulog feature only to find that it is not supported
by my kernel.  So I figured if I'm going to build a new kernel, what other
enhancements can I make?

I don't know much about kernel patches either so excuse me if this is a
dumb question:  Are there any patches that would give me additional
functionality related to firewalling?

Thank you all,

steve