Re: Blocking windows messages

I forgot to mention that the firewall is a bridge so using the FORWARD chain usual does the trick.

Matt

On Apr 7, 2004, at 9:38 AM, [.'.] wrote:

shouldn't that be in the INPUT chain? i don't know if that's required to work, but it makes more sense. FORWARD chains are used for NAT and routing purposes, whereas you block ports on the INPUT and OUTPUT sides of your firewall.

hope that helps,
ub

Matthew Kopishke wrote:

We have been getting a few windows messages as of late so I added the following rules to my firewall:
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -d ! $SERVERIP --dport 135:139 -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -p udp -d ! $SERVERIP --dport 135:139 -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -m iprange --dst-range $FULLRANGE --dport 445 -j DROP iptables -A FORWARD -p udp -m iprange --dst-range $FULLRANGE --dport 445 -j DROP $SERVERIP is a machine that needs 135 - 139 open, so the way I read the rule is that unless it's going to $SERVERIP on 135 - 139 drop it, but the windows messages still seem to be getting through. Oh, and $FULLRANGE is just a range of IPs I'm doing this for. In this case it could have been done just as easily as a block with a netmask, but I guess I wasn't thinking at the moment.
Matt