Re: bind program to ports

Excuse my "maybe" ignorance on this matter. Though I would swear programms
bind to certain ports not ports are binded to programs by other programs..

For example, when you launch apache, in the configure file you can tell it
which port to listen to, and so does most programs I have ever used.

Another thing would be that.. that program is already listening in certain
interface in the intranet, no matter if its listening on those ports or
not, and through a iptables firewall you can redirect all connections to
6882-6889 to that interface and those ports it is listening in the
intranet. If this is your case the lines would be something like this ->
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -d $externalip --dport 6882-6889 -j
DNAT --to $intranetip:6882-6889

The syntax may not be exactly how it is to specify multiple ports but more
or less it would be like that.

My suggestion, make sure you know what you really want to do first before
handling iptables.

-daniel
http://www.debian-gnu.com

<quote who="Christian Christmann">