Re: cleaning up my firewall script...

I think you mean -P OUTPUT(or whatever) DROP(This has to be a built-in target).  If you do want to
append a blank rule to be a sudo policy, then I say go with the first as it's more flexable.  Keep
inmind that any other appended(-A) rule will not be called.

I put up a script that helps sort throught all this -A and -I trash.