Re: Debian Sarge IPTables IRC Connection Tracking Issue

--- DrewB <drewb@x509.biz> wrote:
> I have recently built a server which runs a private IRCD, and I would like
> to be able to support DCC connections to the server using the IRC connection
> tracking module. I have built a custom 2.6.1 kernel for the server (using
DCC connections "to" an ircd?  I did not know that there was a client interface to the server,
thought it is posible it's unlikely that this is what you want.

> make-kpkg) and all iptables/netfilter options are statically built into the
> kernel (no modules used). I used Firewall Builder to build the basic
> iptables script. The script generated by Firewall Builder attempts to
> execute the following iptables command in order to implement the IRC
> connection tracking module:
>
> iptables -A INPUT  -d 208.254.7.36 -m irc  -m state --state NEW  -j ACCEPT

I have to admit I coulden't get this to work my self.  AFAIK the -m irc is not neaded.  What I did
what put ip_nat_irc and the like in /etc/modules.  This caused ipfilter to track masquraded irc
connections and translated DDC requests.  YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THIS ON YOUR SERVER AS ALL DCC
REQUESTS WILL BE NATED TO IT!  I don't know how to controle the state mechine on linux I would use
bsd's netfilter, it's got better support for this.  However linux has a better shaper(tc).

mike