Re: Mac address

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 11:28, K-Egg@gmx.de wrote:
> > [a disclaimer which is voided by sending mail to a public mailinglist, and
> > two lines of text in RTF crap]
>
> i could not find better words for that!!

:)

> > The solution would be to change the mac address on one of the interfaces
> > which cause the duplicates.
> i agree
>
> > How this can be done usually is vendor specific.
> is that really true ?
>

>From the manpage of ifconfig:

   hw class address
              Set the hardware address of this interface, if the device
driver supports  this  operation.

... and the driver only supports it if the interface does. Most decent
interface vendors do, but I know some el-cheapo brands don't ;)

> what about:
> #>/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
> #>/sbin/ifconfig eth0 hw ether DE:AD:BE:AF:00:00
>
> hw is for change hardwareaddress,
> ether if for ethernet,
> DE:AD:... is the new mac address
>
> but this is not a permanent change, the old mac is back on reboot :-)

Yup, so you'd need some scripting to fix this.

> > However, each network interface should have a unique mac address by
> > default.
> no comment

Regards,

Teun