Re: single module compile

Well, I've learnt a lot over this weekend:

Daniel and José, you've given me valuable info, because I am going to
approach this router & firewall setup differently now and incorporate
your advice. I got this idea of compiling modules from a book by
Debian developer Tony Mancill, called "Linux Routers". But now I
realize that maybe he's talking about production routers in a
development & testing context _plus_ I'm reading the 1st edition,
which was written back in 2K when the world was still tame ( ! )

Anyhow, in response to my question "Can anyone still drop a line
about compiling modules _after_ kernel  compile?",  Jonathan wrote:

I'm planning on doing a guide on that as a follow-up to the original
article mentioned above, but haven't got around to it yet  :-(

If you check the Debian Universe site in a while you'll see it there, I
hope. I'm also intending to do a couple of chapters on firewall setup
under Debian and security in general, but that's a little way off yet.
Many other chapters to do first. When the time comes I'll be asking
for some input from the brainiacs on this list.

Strange enough, after spending friday, saturday & sunday searching
for a solution to compiling modules arbitrarily, I experimented with
LRP and discovered that adding new modules to this Debian based
dist is as simple as copying the driver (e.g. 3c59x.o) to /lib/modules..
(as long as you get the driver from the same source version as the
 kernel, of course).

As Nicos pointed out the LRP man has lost hope - but truth be told:
LRP eliminates the need for a disk drive; its a small target for
the enemy and it routes!

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards,
Shango.