IP over IP: satellite hosts

I will have shortly this problem:
 Currentrly I have 5 labs with about 8 machines each, and 5 servers.
Except 3 dual hosted servers, that act as proxies, the hosts have only a
local private address . The labs are all connected to a central switch (I
have a couple of 108 m cables ... but all seem to works nicely ...).
In a few months 2 of the laboratories will be moved to a diffferent, quite
far, building.
I will not be able to lay a cable, but i will have to resot to using "regular"
(althought fast) internet, trought some routers.
I can connect to those routers only machines with public addresses.
I need for some reason to keep the subnet "unitary" so using the same
subnet as today.
I thought of using some sort of tunneling on VPN, with one machine on
each end connected on a NIC to "public" internet, and with another to
private network. I need, since all servers are on one ond, to allow also
broadcasts . (so the two gateways at the end of connection would
appear to the machines as one switch).
How to do it?

--
Leonardo Boselli
Nucleo Informatico e Telematico del Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile