Re: monitorless intall - a newbie question

hi R.Stepanyan,

On 04 Jun 2003 20:06:48 +0200
"R.Stepanyan" <r.r.stepanyan@chem.rug.nl> wrote:

> I would like to ask for any information regarding an installation of
> Debian on a monitorless PC. The idea is to use a box without videocard
> and monitor, but with HDD and 2 network cards as a "server" for a small
> home network (basically - I do not have place and money to by videocard
> and monitor, but do have a laptop with debian on it). My idea was to
> boot the monitorless box from a floppy/CD in such a way, that
> 1. eth0 (for internal network) gets configured from init script
> 2. sshd/telned starts up from init script
> 3. make telnet/ssh from my laptop and configure it further, which
> includes all procedures, starting from fdisk, installind Debian, and
> ending with config of the eth1 for the external network.
>
> So, the question is: are there any ready images available for this kind
> of tasks. HOWTO's or just a piece of advice are also wellcome.

well, i've got this sparc station ipx here running without a display.
it's connected to my workstation via a serial (nullmodem) cable and ouputs
it's messages via a serial console. (you'll need minicom for this.)
so if your computer/motherboard supports serial console(s) (like most sparc
do) you're in luck. you may also find / build a kernel that support's serial
console(s). you might want to have a look at the readme on the rescue floppies
on what requirements installation kernels have and how to put one on a rescue /
installation floppy.
if this is a interesting idea to you and your computer supports serial consoles
or if you want to try running a installation kernel with serial console support
feel free to ask me to explain some more details in order to get this stuff up
and running.

greets, f. soul

--
 /             \ 	GNU's not Unix