Re: CLOSING a web server!!!!!!

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, [iso-8859-1] Iñaki Martínez wrote:

> > >  What are the BETTER and MORE SECURE iptables rules for this server????
> >
> > Better and more secure than what?
>
>  I want to CLOSE and SECURE the server the maximum i can.....

Three simple steps:

1) Approach the server you want to secure.

2) Grasp the power cord which is plugged into the computer about 6 inches
from the point of connection between the cord and computer.

3) Sharply pull the cord in a direction perpendicular to the surface in
which the power cord is embedded.

I can guarantee that nobody will ever break into that box again.  <grin>

Seriously, though, it's impossible to be sure you've got the most secure
config possible.  We can give you hints here, but at the end of the day you
need to be able to assess for yourself whether you've got the right setup.
You should either find a good book, a class, or a security expert to do the
job for you.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16