Re: Firewall Startup Configuration files

 Check /etc/sysctl.conf

You can set anything settable under /proc/sys with this file, it is part of the sysctl program, and it's run at startup before any runlevel by /etc/rcS.d/S30procps (at least in sarge, woody is probably the same).

  Cheers

Magnus Sundberg wrote:
Dear sirs,
I am in the process of migrating my old redhat 7.1 based firewall to Debian. On the old firewall, I replaced the /etc/init.d/iptables script with a huge home written script. This script loaded all filter chains, one by one, and did some changes to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/
    ip_conntrack_max
    ip_local_port_range
    tcp_en

Now,
I want to have one start script that sets up the kernel parameters, and I want to have my separate config script, with all chains, then I want to run init like:

<Setup kernel parameters>
iptables start

to configure my firewall, I would do something like

# run_my_firewall_chain_script
# /etc/init.d/iptables save

Well thats the background information, sorry to keep it so long.

Which configuration file is supposed to keep the kernel parameters?

Sorry for such a long simple question.

Is there a FAQ for this list?

regards,
Magnus Sundberg