Re: which rule dropped the packet?

if i forward a port to the lan, it works fine, can reach a local machine
from outside.  if i forward the same port to another machine on the inet,
the fw (on the machine that does the port forwarding) drops the packets.
why could that be?
I'm quite new to firewalling myself, but here's a thought. The packets follow the path of the first matched rule. So, they come to your first forwarding rule and all the packets matching that rule get
forwarded, so none reach the second rule.

I would think that you need to work with multiple dports to forward all the packets to all the machines. I'm in a hurry so I can't look up the syntax for that and it has to be compiled into the kernel as well.

To all you firewall guru's: correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
-Menno