public wifi (was: Re: Firewall Planning)

Menno Scholten wrote:
Ken Gilmour wrote:

No point in having an external firewall if you have an internal wireless (open) network for anyone who wants to use it. You might as well hang a network cable out your window for anyone to use.

I disagree. If you enable WEP encryption and restrict acces to your local LAN based on MAC-adresses you can make it pretty secure. Of course you always open a door for wardrivers to use but it will discourage the random git..

If you want to go even further you can create a VPN over your wireless network to ecrypt data.

The above is just my humble opinion of course, correct me if I'm wrong..

Regards,
-Menno

As a side note, this article from linuxjournal might be of interest to the list, it describes a clever way to set up a public access point, using a striped down version of debian (pebble):

http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6897

Jose