I am aspiring to accomplish the same setup you
described -- and having the same issues as you earlier described. Would you
mind sharing with me the appropriate contents of your (now successfully
working) /etc/network/interfaces file, please?
In a nutshell I also have a cable internet
connection. I wanted to run it into an older Compaq PC with two NICs and
Debian Woody to serve as Firewall and Proxy Server. My Debian server would
connect in turn to a wireless router.
Rounding out my internal network, the router
- by CAT5 cable to a Win2k box (used to configure
- to a remote WinXp box via 802.11b wireless PCI
- by CAT5 cable to a 5-port switch
- The switch allows ad-hoc network connections to
a Mandrake Linux Notebook
- and for easy future expansion of the network