Re: [LARTC] REJECTing: How and When to use What type of reply.

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 11:29:30AM +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> Tarragon Allen, 2003-09-20 01:20:19 +0200 :
> > The only disctinction between the two that I make is that a REJECT
> > is polite, and a DROP is rude. Also, a REJECT says to the other end
> > "yes, there is a host there" whereas a DROP say "I got nothing,
> > looks like there's nothing there".
>
> I agree with that.

It is not completely correct: since normally you do not get "no answer" but
"target not reachable" depending on the ISP. Dropping does not mean "there
is no host". It means "there is a rude host who wants not talk to you".

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --