Re: dmz with ssh

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 07:08:39PM +0200, Christopher Huhn wrote:

> Is there a possibility to get X11 forwarding working - without
> installing at least xbase-clients on the DMZ host? X11 forwarding
> seems at least to depend on the availibility of xauth.

Not that I'm aware of.

> Can you get the functionality of scp/sftp without a direct (ssh)
> connection of server and client?
> Maybe via an ssh tunnel over ssh? But you don't really need double
> encryption?  What about rsync over ssh?

You mean like:

   rsync -v --progress -a -x -e ssh root@${1}:/ ${DEST}

Where ${1} is the IP of the remote host and ${DEST} is the destination
on the local host for the rysnc to be stored.  The above line is part of
a script i use to backup my Zaurus.  The above is running rsync on the
host at ${1} for the root filesystem "/" through an ssh connection.

If however, you would like to route through ${1} and actual reach an
internal host, that too should be possible by setting up an SSH port
forward:

   ssh -C ${1} -L${lport}:${rhost}:${rport}

The above will create a connection to the host at ${1} and attempt to
establish a forwarding of ${lport} on the the local host to ${rport} on
${rhost} via the connection to ${1}.  Once this connection has been made
you simply point rsync to your local host's ${lport} and the request
would be forwarded through ${1} and on to ${rport} at {$rhost}.

--
Jamin W. Collins