setting up two NICs

I am running sarge on a dual ppro machine with two NICs. I want to setup the
box to be a firewall and router for a small internal network but i can't
even get that far.
I have a cable modem connected to eth0 using DCHP and eth1 is connected to
my internal network. Both NICS work and ive tested them both using DHCP and
the modem. The trouble is when i bring up both of them (one configured for
dhcp and one for When they are both up the network stops
working. I am unable to resolve any host names or make any connections.

my /etc/network/interfaces looks like this

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

If i ifdown eth1, the internet works again.
Ive had the same problem with woody, which is why i tried sarge. I have the
feeling im doing something wrong.