Re: single module compile

Mensaje citado por Bernd Eckenfels <lists@lina.inka.de>:

> On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 01:00:13PM -0500, José Guzmán wrote:
> >   This practice, at least over here, aids in improving sysadmin sleep at
> night.
>
> this is a very false asumption. If somebody is able to trojan your kernel
> with a loadable module, he is also able to simply install a new kernel with
> a trojan in it.
>
> Dont bet your sleep on it.

  You´re quite right about this, it´s all meaningless if you can´t realize
if/when the box has been compromised (rebooted, and with a different kernel).

  But that´s why IDS is for, with a properly configured tripwire or integrit
setup, with integrity databases in a read only medium, and maybe with remote
monitoring and logging, you´ll sleep better at night too ;).

  Now a worry that remains is physical access to the machine room...

  There´s no single practice that will guarantee a safe operation, and I believe
that not even a combination of all known good practices can be 100% secure, but
at least the risk is reduced by combining several methods with a bit of good old
paranoia.