tcpdump/ethereal

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but here it goes...

Well, here we use a debian firewall with ipchains. Debian 3.0, kernel 2.2.19. I tried to use tcpdump 3.6.2 in this firewall, but couldn't use the filters, even the simple ones, like 'src host a.b.c.d'. It simply doesn't filter like expected, I get lots of packets that have nothing to do with the host that I want to filter. Then I tried ethereal 0.9.4, but the same happens.

Any help? Am I beeing too stupid?

Thanks in advance.