ipchains - two steps forward - one step sideways };-)

Jule, updating your kernel is a very simple matter with the tools you
have at hand.  You may certainly reinstall Woody from the b2.4 floppies
if you like or give miniwoody a try.  Miniwoody is a CD ISO which uses
the bf2.4 floppies as a boot medium (kind of, it's still a CD) and then
does most of the install via CD, just going to the net to get "optional"
stuff.  The miniwoody distribution can be found at:

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/bonzai/

I think the easiest method would have to be using apt-get to install a
new kernel though.  You will have to do this as root.  In my case, I run
an athlon machine so I would type the following:

apt-get install kernel-image-2-4.18-k7

If you are running a Celeron or pentium X or a different AMD then the
last spec (k7) will change.

Here are the other varieties available:

386 - kernel-image-2.4.18-386
pentium classic - kernel-image-2.4.18-586tsc
PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV - kernel-image-2.4.18-686
PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV SMP - kernel-image-2.4.18-686-smp
AMD K6/K6-II/K6-III - kernel-image-2.4.18-k6

Unless you want to get kernel source and compile, the latest version you
can get from debian (easily) is 2.4.18.  You can certainly try changing
you apt sources.list but that can be very tricky.  The 2.4.18 kernel
should meet your needs.  Having said that, sooner or later you will get
the kernel source and start hacking, everyone does... };-)

Generally, the kernel used by default is the one for the 386, very
generic and not optimized for you CPU.  Then again, very safe.

So, anyway, after a few minutes you should have a newly installed kernel
image.  Now, be careful, your existing lilo.conf file probably does not
have support for a "init.rd" (initial RAM disk).  Debconf will tell you
this and will tell you how to edit your lilo.conf to make sure your new
kernel is going to work. PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION HERE! you are making
changes to lilo, be careful.

With a new kernel in place I think you will have better luck with your
IPTABLES (now) question.  I haven't used IPCHAINS for about a year and
half and as such I can no longer help you as I just don't remember
anymore.

This should help to get you going.

John