Re: IP over IP: satellite hosts

Leonardo Boselli wrote:
I will have shortly this problem:
 Currentrly I have 5 labs with about 8 machines each, and 5 servers.
Except 3 dual hosted servers, that act as proxies, the hosts have only a local private address . The labs are all connected to a central switch (I have a couple of 108 m cables ... but all seem to works nicely ...). In a few months 2 of the laboratories will be moved to a diffferent, quite far, building. I will not be able to lay a cable, but i will have to resot to using "regular" (althought fast) internet, trought some routers.
I can connect to those routers only machines with public addresses.
I need for some reason to keep the subnet "unitary" so using the same subnet as today. I thought of using some sort of tunneling on VPN, with one machine on each end connected on a NIC to "public" internet, and with another to private network. I need, since all servers are on one ond, to allow also broadcasts . (so the two gateways at the end of connection would appear to the machines as one switch).
How to do it?

--
Leonardo Boselli
Nucleo Informatico e Telematico del Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile

If you can set up a linux router in each end with real IPs, check out the 'Ipsec practical configurations for Linux Freeswan 1.3.', the subnet to subnet setup may be of help. Although you may have to play with proxy arp once you have them linked.

http://jixen.tripod.com/

Also the documentation in www.freeswan.org is good. The freeswan version in woody is 1.96 with several patches, but the docs for 1.97 apply.

I have a copy of the jixen site, if it's unavailable mail me.

Jose