Re: monitorless intall - a newbie question

Hi,

Le mer 04/06/2003 à 20:06, R.Stepanyan a écrit :
> I would like to ask for any information regarding an installation of
> Debian on a monitorless PC.

I dunno... But if at all possible I would say it's easier to have a
video card and a screen.

First, as some stated, some mobos will simply not boot without a video
card, however simple.

Second, unless you have an expensive server, it's very unlikely your
bios will be accessible through serial or whatever.

Third, it's very likely that at some stage you'll mess up something
(maybe compiling a new kernel and mixing up lilo or ethernets) that will
be very difficult to sort out without a local console, but very simple
otherwise...

Fourth, you can do a regular install.

I have myself such a machine, with a video card but no screen attached.
When things turn akward, most of the time the most enoying thing is to
move the 20kg CRT screen to the neighbourhood of the firewall... But
it's much better than spending a whole evening trying to boot the
machine...

Have you tried getting redundant stuff? Any vga card would be enough.

Sorry this is not exactly the answer you wanted :-)

Sebastien