Too slow connection

Hi.

I have setup a firewall (I am just doing masquerading now) between the a cable modem and the local network. Cable modem is connected to eth1 and the eth0 connects to the local switch. When both interfaces are up, The connecting beween the firewall and a local system is too slow. As soon as I bring eth1 down

# ifdown eth1

the connection speed improves dramatically in the local network.

The two network cards are RTL 8139. The kernel version is 2.4.19-586tsc. I am using Debian GNU/Linux testing.

I tried changing both network cards but no change in speed. I also removed the masquerading rule still the same problem.

Thanks.

Avinash.