iptables not blocking dhcp traffic (dhclient)

Hi,

I've configured kernel 2.4.20 (with freeswan patch) with iptables
support and installed the iptables package from debian testing
(1.2.7a-7). When I use the following 'rules', all traffic should be
dropped is it not?

iptables -F
iptables -X
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
iptables -A INPUT -j LOG --log-level 6
iptables -A OUTPUT -j LOG --log-level 6

Why is it that the dhclient program on this machine still get's it IP
from the dhcp server and why don't I get the DHCP traffic in the log?
The rules are installed before networking is initialized. (The
logging works for any other traffic on this box.)

Also when I create a rule which sets ICMP incomming to REJECT and try
to telnet to the machine, the 'telnetting' machine does not get the
icmp port unreachable message but times out. When doing this with my
old ipchains box, the message was recieved and did not have to wait
on a timeout. Is this normal behaviour for iptables or does it has to
be something else?

Regards,
Remy Cool