RE: routing: subnet behind gateway in that subnet

> We liked the idea to have a router/firewall at our end of the
> cable too, to further seperate the network to fit our needs
> and enforce security policies.

Don't know if this helps, it's not Debian specific, but we use SonicWall
firewalls which can act as "bridging" firewalls, so both sides of the
firewall can be on the same subnet.  They work well, the web interface
is easy to use, they can do IPSEC VPN if you like.  Ours have been very
reliable.

--
C. R. Oldham
Director of Technology