Re: TX errors, internal nic

p166deb:~# mii-diag eth1
Basic registers of MII PHY #1:  3100 7869 001d 2411 05e1 0021 0004 2001.
 Basic mode control register 0x3100: Auto-negotiation enabled.
 Basic mode status register 0x7869 ... 786d.
   Link status: previously broken, but now reestablished.
 Your link partner is generating 10baseT link beat  (no autonegotiation).
   End of basic transceiver informaion.
----------------------
now i don't know when this link was 'broken', because i have programs which
keep constant connections, and these programs die or become crippled when
those connections are lost, even for the shortest moment, so there is a
constant connection.

and yes, it is a cheap nic, it is a cicero, with a weird chip (i hadn't
heard of this chip maker before) which apparently uses the tulip drivers.
the other end is a "SynOptics LattisHub 2813"  (16 port 10BaseT smart hub
root w/ 4 - 25 pin expansion ports with one 16 port leaf hub, [back from
when hubs were dumb and smart].  although I have yet to figure out how to
interface with it, but that's a completely different issue.)

so yeah, that's what the mii-diag said.  it doesn't seem to give me much i
can work with, hopefully you can though.
(remember, this isn't a big issue, everything is working fine in terms of
connections through)

-rp