Re: TX errors, internal nic

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 20:01, Arne P. Boettger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 09:18:13PM -0800, Doug_The_Slug wrote:
> > eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:BF:97:D9:18
> >           inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
> >           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> >           RX packets:10330332 errors:4 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:6
> >           TX packets:0 errors:10247612 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:20345878
> >           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
> >           RX bytes:2195996995 (2.0 GiB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
> >           Interrupt:11 Base address:0x1400
>
> which driver does this card use? How is it connected to your
> network? If it is a switch, what do the diagnostic lights tell you?
>
> Could you install the mii-diag package and post the output of the
> mii-diag program?
>
> I have the strong impression that this is either a flakey link or
> some el Cheapo card that has trouble negotiating a link speed with
> the other end.
>
> > why is TX at 0?  how is the nic transmitting anything to the internal
> > network when TX is at 0?   and for some reason, it's putting in an error for
> > each packet.  also, what is this carrier number, and why is it so high?
> >
> > this isn't really an emergency since everything is running and working as
> > far as i can see, but i just found this bit odd.
>
> What that carrier number means is something I could not really get
> an answer to, so if someone else here knows, I would like to know
> too...

carrier_error is set when the driver tries to send a packet and it
failed because the carrier have been lost during transmission. Well,
knowing precisely which chain on even on card makes it set it's carrier
lost status is really depending ont the driver.

In this case, i totally agrees: looks to me as a nego problem.

--

-> Jean-Francois Dive
--> jef@linuxbe.org

  There is no such thing as randomness.  Only order of infinite
  complexity. - Marquis de LaPlace - deterministic Principles -