Re: OT: Advice on network setup

Hi Doug,

Thanks again for your help.

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 01:01:01AM -0400, Douglas Guptill wrote:
> You might also look at bridges.

I'm doing this right now as a matter of fact (after a nudge in that
direction from some other respondants to my first post).  It seems to be
_exactly_ what I want, aparently I won't even have to configure the
hosts that are already installed for a new gateway.

> Try this:
>    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/BRIDGE-STP-HOWTO
>
> and there is probably more.  Bridging is labelled "experimental"
> in the 2.2 kernel (which I am using).  Take a look at the 2.4 kernel.

Yep, it's not experimental in 2.4 and (luckily) I compiled it as a
module when I installed this machine even though I wasn't sure what it
was but because I knew that machine would be some kind of
router/firewall/thingy and the word "bridge" seemed to fit right in
there.

> Upon reflection, I think that a bridge/firewall made from a 2.4
> kernel may be worth looking at.  It would get around the problem
> listed in my Caveats.

To be honest I didn't really understand that diagram.  I will look at
Ethernet bridging as it appears to be the most elegant solution
providing what I want.  If it doesn't work out, I will come back to your
idea and study it more carefully.  Thanks again for your help on this.

Regards,

Lucas