Re: Simple question - opening a port

A good place to start reading is the Packet Filtering
HOWTO. Check out
http://www.iptables.org/documentation/HOWTO/packet-filtering-HOWTO.html

Here's what I did to open up a port for SSH on my home
router:

$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -m state --state
NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT

where
IPTABLES=/sbin/iptables
EXTIF=ppp0

Change EXTIF to match your external interface, change
ssh to whatever port name(as defined by /etc/services)
or number you want to open, and possibly make a copy
of the rule with tcp changed to udp, depending on what
protocols are needed.

Hope this helps
Gene

--- bauer@michaelbauer.com wrote:

> Hi.  I have debian 3.0 running ipmasq and iptables.
> It's a firewall for a
> home network.  I want to host a game over the net.
> All I think I need to
> do is open a port for this.  I don't quite know how
> to do that!  Anyone
> have a pointer to a simple faq for this (or could
> just tell me!)
<snip>