Re: question about squid

> here is a discussion about squid. There is a product called smoothwall. You can configure it using
> a web interface. For the squid the only setting you can make are just for cacheing. So, is this
> squid a real proxy, or just a cache?

Squid is both.  4.20 in the squid faq says:

4.20 Can I make Squid proxy only, without caching anything?

   Sure, there are few things you can do.

   You can use the no_cache access list to make Squid never cache any response:
        acl all src 0/0
        no_cache deny all

   With Squid-2.4 and later you can use the ``null'' storage module:
        cache_dir null /null

But I don't know why you'd want to proxy and not cache.

> Perhaps everybody in this list will tell me to make my own firewall using debian 3.0, but we want
> to have a secure and good one without wasting time. It does not have to be working in 2 days, but
> i do not have 2 month to realize this "problem".

Iptables is not that difficult, make sure you read the iptables
faq's and howtos and look at a few scripts available and go from
there.

> So, we want that out client´s ips are not visible in the internet. It must look as if all packets
> are commint from one ip, the firewall´s one. Is this possible using squid?
> Andre

You want to setup a proxy that all web requests go through, then
source nat the outgoing to the firewall external IP, right?

Cheers,

--
Lance Levsen,
Systems Administrator,