iptables stateful matching security

I have written a firewall for the company I work for, which uses stateful
packet matching.  I have this question: Is is safe/secure/wise to do this.
For instance, if I require no one from the outside to connect to the local
linux box, would I be safe doing "iptables -A INPUT -m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT" followed by "iptables -A INPUT -j DROP"?
Can I be reasonably assured that my box is secure using this firewall and
keeping up with the latest 2.4 kernels?  (of course, I am running
tripwire, and have a minimal set of users and services running on the
box).

Thank you for helping me clear up this point of confusion between my
colleagues and I....

--
Q: How many Microsoft support staff does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Four. One to ask "What is the registration number of the light bulb?", one