Messages filling my screen..

Hi, I'm quite new to Debian and completely new to firewalling, so this is
surely a silly question:

When I log in to my Debian Linux, I get the following message:

Packet log: input DENY ppp0 PROTO=2 192.168.100.1:65535 224.0.0.1:65535 L=36
S=0xC0 [...]

... And sometimes it changes to something with PROTO=103. It surely has to
do with blocking some kind of packets, and that's ok.

The problem is that I cannot work because it fills up my screen with these
messages. How can I tell and who to write these thing only to a log file?
How can I choose which messages are to be logged and where (not to screen
;-) )?

Thanks everybody.
Francesco