Re: NIS on gateway

NIS is very unsecure by nature, I would never suggest it be on a
firewall. A firewall is constantly exposed to the hostile internet. If
someone were to root the box, they would have passwords/etc for your
entire network. Setting up a seperate system would increase security
greatly.

On Mon, 2002-05-27 at 20:03, Thomas Cook wrote:
> I have a small firewall/gateway/dhcp server that serves my network (7-10
> boxes).  I usually try to keep from running anything on the box save the
> dhcp server and ssh to prevent security holes and keep patching infrequent.
>
> When I first started I had only 3 boxes on the network, but things have
> grown, and I would like to install an NIS server to keep user accounts and
> the like in sync.  My first thought was to add the NIS Server to the
> firewall as it logically has access to all the servers behind it.
>
> Would this be an undue security risk?  Would it be better to place another
> server just inside the network for this task?  The network is small and has
> few users so bandwidth and load are not an issue.
>
> -Tom

Sean McAvoy
Network Analyst
Megawheels Technologies Inc.