Re: My first firewall

On 05/21/2002 09:50:08 AM "Crawford Rainwater" wrote:

>> I am in the process of building my first Debian
>> firewall.  Have the following items, HW and distro
>> wise:
>> - Debian 2.2r6 on CD
>> - Have 2.4.18 kernel to upgrade to on CD
>> - P3, 350MHz, 128MB RAM, 8GB SCSI Ultra Wides
>>   two NICs (3Com Fast EtherLink XL, 3C905B-TX),
>>   and ATI Xpert 128 (not that X-Win will be running
>>   here, just for reference purposes)

How fast of a connection are your firewalling?
At home I've got 608K DSL (unusual number, 608) and using a Compaq 486/33
underclocked to /25, I run around 15% utilization when I iptables
masquerade at full line rate.  That's using two 16 bit ISA ethernet cards.
This may help you estimate how fast of a connection you can handle.

>> I would like suggestions of what to install as a
>> basis for this, since all it will be is just a firewall
>> box, nothing else.  eth0 will be assigned to point
>> to a router (down the road), eth1 will be assigned to
>> point inside to the LAN.

In addition to plain ole iptables masquerade, I'd personally install squid,
ntp, and bind.  You may as well use squid to get some benefit out of the 8
gig hard drive.  "Obviously" you want to dpkg --purge telnetd, etc.