Thanks for the tips!
So just to understand:

Say the Cisco router is
x.x.x.254

I would set eth0 on the debian box to
x.x.x.253 (same side as Cisco)
and set eth1 on the debian box to
x.x.x.252 (local side)

Then set everything behind the debian box to
x.x.x.251 or lower?

I would set the gateway for everything behind the debian
box to
x.x.x.252 ?

I would set IP forwarding via /etc/network/options
Then use iptables (woody with kernel 2.4) to set the filters etc.

This sound ok?
I'm not too familiar with proxy-arp, so this isn't essential?
Would proxy-arp be like intercepting workstation packets desinted
to the cisco gateway to go thru the debian box instead?
I would probably have a dhcp server setup to assign the
workstaions their IP's and set their gateway to that of
the Debian's eth1. (x.x.x.252)

Thanks again for all your help.  :)

Mike