ipmasq max connections?

Hi,
I'm wondering if ipmasq has a max connections or if it has
a limit of the number of IP's it can masq at the same time?

I would like to guess that there is no limit, or maybe the limit
is really high, like around 65,000 or something.
but I have a subnet on my firewall running with a subnet mask of
255.255.254.0
Thus allowing me to have 512 nodes. IPmasq should have no prob masqing more
than 256 workstations right?

Some workstations have been getting cutting off from their mail server when
going thru the masqing box. Random sudden disconnections.
When the IP's are changed to a static IP on the public side of the firewall,
the disconnections go away.

The only theory I have is that the disconnections are due to the masqing box
and somehow there is a limit to the number of connections.

Someone please tell me I'm not insane so I can blame the mail server or wiring
or something.
Thanks for your time,

Mike