Re: debian woody iptables/ipmasq compatible?

John Griessen <john_g@cibolo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Places in the debian documentation recommend
>  running /sbin/ipmasq when starting and stopping your ppp connection.
>
> If I have a 2.4 kernel iptables firewall that does masquerading, do I
> need to still use /sbin/ipmasq?  I am thinking that the iptables way
> does not need any setup change when the ppp0 connection changes --
> anyone know more specifics?

I think the ipmasq package filters by ip addresses. Then it needs to
recompute the rules if your ip changes.

I also read in the shorewall doc that using the ip might be slightly
faster than using the interface name. But I don't know the netfilter
internals, so don't take my word as granted.

--
Rémi