Re: IP Forwarding - Need a guru.

On 08/07/2002 09:50:55 AM "Ryan McAlister" wrote:

>> I'm trying to setup a firewall machine that will forward packets only. I
will

>> What am I missing? Do I have to use IPTABLES to accomplish this?

Yes.

Something like:

That will get you started, but you really need to read the iptables docs.
Some people report great success and ease of use with the "ipmenu" package.

Note that the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward says it's OK for the kernel to
forward, it doesn't tell the kernel what to forward where.
The iptables tells the kernel what to forward to where, but doesn't tell
the kernel the overall question of is it OK to forward anything.
Thats why you need both.