automatic firewall start/stop

Does anyone have an example of how to integrate a
firewall/IP masquerading script into the appropriate
network init scripts? My firewall/masquerading works
fine, but I have to start and stop it manually. Most
documentation I've read is Redhat oriented, which I
don't think is appropriate in this case. I'd like the
firewall to start on (re)boot and stop on shutdown. If
anyone could post or send me an example, that would be
very helpful.

System: normal desktop setup, 2.4 kernel w/ all
relevant firewall kernel options compiled, using
iptables, running testing.

Thanks.

Richard