Re: Firewall - DROP or DENY

Hi ...

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 06:05:52PM +0200, Arne P. Boettger wrote:
>> >If you DENY you tell potential attackers "Yes, I'm here, but I (try to)
>> >deny you access", and he/she may try harder. If you DROP the attacker
>> >don't even know you are there, and there is no reason to try harder...
>> But dropping the packages will erase your traffic.
>> If you reject with host unreachable, you will get the same effect with
>> the less traffic...
>Yes, but you might trick legal clients into thinking that your
>server is completely unreachable, thus make it impossible for them
>to connect to you at all.

This will only work, if you have an passive server, like a masq-router.
If you have a webserver/mailserver ... then you can see, that there is a
server by using nmap.

You are not invisible then.

	Regards

		Jan
--
One time, you all will be emulated by linux!

----
Jan- Hendrik Palic
Url:"http://www.billgotchy.de";
E-Mail: "palic@billgotchy.de"