iptables not logging (much)

I cannot get my iptables firewall to log

syslog.conf:  kern.* -/var/log/kern.log

lsmod shows ipt_LOG moduled loaded

I created this test "firewall" in an attempt to log something

iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level emerg

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level emerg
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level emerg

I get nothing in the logs.

However, some firewall logging does work.

For instance I can log martians with:

for f in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/log_martians; do
        echo 1 > $f
done

     Any ideas on how to get this to work?