Re: newbie: bandwith limitations and setting priority

On Feb 23, Hans-Christian Armingeon wrote:

> Dear list,
> could anyone please explain for me, how to limit the bandwith on a specified interface?
> How do I set up a chain for prioritizing packets from a specified host higher/lower?

if all you want to do is limit the bandwidth you can use a blunt for method
and use the 'traffic shaper'.

Otherwise you will need QoS (quality of service) which is (I consider) crypto
to use but *very* useful.  This will allow you to do high speed downloading
whilst having flatlow pings......very useful and nice to do behind a shared
connection especially.

Have a look at the Adv-Routing-HOWTO for a beginneers guide

good luck

Alex

/ Do not seek death; death will find you. \
| But seek the road which makes death a   |
| fulfillment.                            |
\ -- Dag Hammarskjold                     /
        \   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||